Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Camp Quality

This happens to be one of my favorite weeks of the year - Camp Quality Illinois!  Unfortunately due to the priority changes that occurred following the birth of Little Love, this is the second year I am not participating in camp. {tear}  I like to believe that my absence is just a life season, as many events are, and I will be able to volunteer in the future. 
If you are not familiar with Camp Quality, it is a camp that "lets kids with cancer be kids again." 
Camp Quality serves children with cancer and their families by providing year-round programs, experiences, and companionship, at no cost. Camp Quality promotes hope and inspiration while helping children foster life skills and develop their full potential.  I began attending Camp Quality Illinois following my kindergarten home-schooling commitment with Jordan. Jordan was diagnosed with cancer when she was 18 months old and relapsed just before she was to enter Kindergarten. In God's divine intervention, Jordan was enrolled in my Kindergarten class and due to her condition, I began to home-school her a few times a week after my daily teaching responsibilities. To make a long beautiful story short, Jordan and I created a strong bond and with permission from her parents to stay involved in her life, I went to Camp Quality with Jordan to be her companion. We attended camp together every summer from 2005-2010.  The friendship remains and I am so blessed to still have the opportunity to be invested in her life.
Foreseeing the future and my need to have a leave of absence from Camp Quality for the birth of and raising our son, I approached my twin sister, Emily to make a promise to me.  Emily agreed that when the time came, she would become Jordan's companion at Camp Quality.  I am so blessed to have a sister that helps keep my passion alive when I am unable to serve in the capacity that I desire.  I know that Emily's life has also been forever changed following her week at camp last summer and now this week.  I am sure they are having fun, dancing their toes off and doing lots of crafts between the exciting themed events planned.  Now, if I could only get past the sadness in my heart from missing out on another week of amazing memories and inspiration!
One of the many highlights at Camp Quality is having a letter or card during 'mail call' at the evening meal.  This morning I quickly realized that I need to get cards in the mail today in order for Emily and Jordan to receive them before camp ends. So...during nap time I quickly whipped up the following cards in about 20minutes and got them in the mail.  Due to my lack of creativity time, they are really simple but I think they turned out cute. I hope they enjoy receiving mail at camp!
 

Jordan's card on the left reads:  "Hey, happy camper!"
Emily's card on the right is embellished with her name in letter stickers under a piece of yellow ribbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...