Wednesday, October 17, 2012

{MWW} Enchilada Soup



The change of seasons and the cooler weather is an invitation for soup to find its way onto the menu in our home.  I must admit that I am picky regarding the soups I consume, but this Enchilada Soup gets a gold star from me! I hope that you will be inspired to make this soup and that it will provide comfort and warmth on a blustery fall or winter day!

This is another tried-and-true recipe from my Pillsbury slow cooker cook book.  Read below for recipe directions and my commentary from preparing the meal for my family.

Pillsbury photo documentation of meal:




 Enchilada Soup

Prep Time:  10 minutes
Start to Finish:  7 hours 20 minutes
Servings: 6
Ingredients:
 {directly taken from the Pillsbury Slow Cooker book I own}
2 cups Progresso chicken broth (from 32oz carton)
1 can (19oz) Old El Paso mild or hot enchilada sauce
1 can (4.5oz) Old El Paso chopped mild green chiles
1 package (20oz) bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
1 can (15oz) Progresso black beans, drained, rinsed
1 bag (12oz) Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers Niblets frozen corn, thawed, drained
Shredded Mexican cheese blend, if desired
Chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
Crushed tortilla chips, if desired

My commentary regarding the ingredients:
I substituted the chicken for some turkey breast fillets I needed to use up.  I still used chicken broth with turkey as the meat.  It tasted just fine.  I always purchase the cheapest brand so our chicken broth was Meijer and not Progresso, our corn was from a Green Giant can and our black beans were not Progresso.  Fear not, it all tasted the same!  I did however purchase Old El Paso brand for the mild enchilada sauce and mild green chiles.  I failed to read the amount correctly to realize I needed 19oz so one of my cans was a 10pz can of green enchilada sauce I had in the pantry and one was a 10oz can of regular red enchilada sauce I purchased. I did not use cilantro but definitely added cheese and chips...and sour cream!
Directions:
 {directly taken from the Pillsbury Slow Cooker book I own.  All photos below were taken by me in the preparation process.}

Spray 4-5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.  In cooker, mix broth, enchilada sauce and chiles.  Place chicken into enchilada sauce mixture; spoon sauce over chicken.

Cover; cook on Low heat setting for 7 to 8 hours.

Remove chicken from cooker with slotted spoon.  
Stir beans and corn into mixture in cooker. 
Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 5 to 10 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, shred chicken by pulling apart with 2 forks; return to cooker.
Cook until thoroughly heated.


 
Top each serving with cheese, cilantro and tortilla chips.
My commentary regarding the directions:
I did not alter the directions given.  I can confess that the slow cooker remained on the High setting for a couple hours following dinner while we ran some errands and the juice cooked off and we are now serving the left overs as burritos! So, whatever form you choose to serve this meal in - enjoy!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...